Saturday, September 30, 2017

The Fall Book Haul


Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews. I get to show off all the books I’ve gotten recently.

The weather is getting colder, darker, and wetter. That means I’ll be spending less time outside and more time sitting on my ass, reading great literature. Here are some books that I’m hopefully going to read before the end of the year.





The Fall Book Haul








Good Bones and Simple Murders – Margaret Atwood

In this collection of short works that defy easy categorization, Margaret Atwood displays, in condensed and crystallized form, the trademark wit and virtuosity of her best-selling novels, brilliant stories, and insightful poetry. Among the jewels gathered here are Gertrude offering Hamlet a piece of her mind, the real truth about the Little Red Hen, a reincarnated bat explaining how Bram Stoker got Dracula all wrong, and the five methods of making a man. There are parables, monologues, prose poems, condensed science fiction, reconfigured fairy tales, and other miniature masterpieces—punctuated with charming illustrations by the author.








A Game of Thrones – George R.R. Martin

Summers span decades. Winter can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne has begun. 
As Warden of the north, Lord Eddard Stark counts it a curse when King Robert bestows on him the office of the Hand. His honor weighs him down at court where a true man does what he will, not what he must . . . and a dead enemy is a thing of beauty. 
The old gods have no power in the south, Stark’s family is split and there is treachery at court. Worse, the vengeance-mad heir of the deposed Dragon King has grown to maturity in exile in the Free Cities. He claims the Iron Throne.







The Haunting of Hill House – Shirley Jackson

First published in 1959, Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House has been hailed as a perfect work of unnerving terror. It is the story of four seekers who arrive at a notoriously unfriendly pile called Hill House: Dr. Montague, an occult scholar looking for solid evidence of a "haunting"; Theodora, his lighthearted assistant; Eleanor, a friendless, fragile young woman well acquainted with poltergeists; and Luke, the future heir of Hill House. At first, their stay seems destined to be merely a spooky encounter with inexplicable phenomena. But Hill House is gathering its powers—and soon it will choose one of them to make its own.








Fatty Legs: A True Story – Christy Jordan-Fenton & Margaret Pokiak-Fenton

Eight-year-old Margaret Pokiak has set her sights on learning to read, even though it means leaving her village in the high Arctic. Faced with unceasing pressure, her father finally agrees to let her make the five-day journey to attend school, but he warns Margaret of the terrors of residential schools. 
At school Margaret soon encounters the Raven, a black-cloaked nun with a hooked nose and bony fingers that resemble claws. She immediately dislikes the strong-willed young Margaret. Intending to humiliate her, the heartless Raven gives gray stockings to all the girls—all except Margaret, who gets red ones. In an instant Margaret is the laughingstock of the entire school. 
In the face of such cruelty, Margaret refuses to be intimidated and bravely gets rid of the stockings. Although a sympathetic nun stands up for Margaret, in the end it is this brave young girl who gives the Raven a lesson in the power of human dignity.








Marrow Island – Alexis M. Smith

Twenty years ago Lucie Bowen left Marrow Island; along with her mother, she fled the aftermath of an earthquake that compromised the local refinery, killing her father and ravaging the island’s environment. Now, Lucie’s childhood friend Kate is living within a mysterious group called Marrow Colony—a community that claims to be “ministering to the Earth.” There have been remarkable changes to the land at the colony’s homestead. Lucie’s experience as a journalist tells her there’s more to the Colony—and their charismatic leader—than they want her to know, and that the astonishing success of their environmental remediation has come at great cost to the Colonists themselves. As she uncovers their secrets and methods, will Lucie endanger more than their mission? What price will she pay for the truth?






Have you read any of these? What did you think?










18 comments:

  1. I'm reading the first volume of A Storm of Swords at the moment. I'm only 140 pages in so plenty to go yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've haven't read any of these-- I've actually never read anything by Margaret Atwood. Every time I see one of her books on a blog I'm always reminded I should pick up one of her books! She feels like such a classic

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read A Game of Thrones, and A Haunting at Hill House has been on my TBR for ages. Hope you enjoy your books and have a great weekend. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got The Haunting of Hill House last month as well! Haven't read it yet but really excited about it! I hope you'll enjoy all the books you got! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Haunting of Hill House is a classic, but one I haven't read. Have fun reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read The Haunting of Hill House a few years ago. It was pretty good but I definitely want to read more Shirley Jackson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I seriously need to start reading the Game of Thrones series soon. It's been on my bookshelf for awhile now and I still haven't gotten around to that series yet!

    Here’s my Stacking the Shelves!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Recommend Me This! Saturdays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't often read short story collections, but I am intrigued by the Margaret Atwood short works. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh good luck with Game of Thrones! I loved the audio, even though it was pretty intense to get through. 😂 But the story is deliciously complex at least and everyone is awful SO THAT'S FUN. :D I hope you have a great reading month!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fatty legs looks interesting, although that name is a bit weird :) enjoy those books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. An interesting selection of books. Hope you enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay, Game of Thrones! I really enjoy the book series (haven't really watched the tv show yet!). There are so many characters and facts, but it's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been Currently Reading GoT for about a year now. It's soooo long. I love the TV show, but the books are so intimidating. I hope you enjoy it, though.

    Thanks for visiting Shell's Stories!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked The Haunting of Hill House -- I need to read more of Shirley Jackson's work! Hope you enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read any of these. I do want to read GoT whenever I can actually find the time. Enjoy all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love it if it would rain some here. We have the cooler weather and darker evenings at least. :-)

    Atwood's book sounds really good! I hope you love Game of Thrones. I enjoyed that one and need to continue with the books. The Haunting of Hill House sounds perfect for this time of year. I hope you enjoy all your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So I am just going to read your review of The Haunting of Hill House. It sounds SO interesting, but I don't think I would make it through it.
    So I will just live through you, and read the review haha
    It seems like you have a some great books to read this fall =)
    Ashley @ Books To The Tea

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't watched but I did read the first book of A Game of Thrones and I actually loved it. I wasn't expecting to be able to appreciate the intense fantasy so much, but it was kind of wonderful. Happy reading all of these!

    ReplyDelete